Monday, 2 August 2010

The Castle of Adventure

Yestrday we had to pop to the market as hubby had a few bits and pieces he wanted to pick up, so although I HATE the sunday market (too many people shoving and standing on my toes and blowing cigarette smoke in my face lol) I agreed coz there is a lovely stall there that sells incensce :)  After we had zoomed round there Lewis wanted to go castle spotting again, inspired by playmobil knights no doubt, so we drove to Dirleton Castle, not too far from where we were. That's the lovely thing about living here, there are LOADS of castles within a reasonable distance. So the get-in-free cards got another outing! It was so sunny and warm when we got there, but halfway through it tipped it down, and everyone disappeared, meaning we got to wander round by ourselves, albeit rather wet!







This was the castle prison. As soon as we went down it felt like I was being pressed down, like someone had their hands on my shoulders, and a feeling of "blackness". Can you see anything in the pic???


Lewis running round the flower beds lol


They had the most wonderful old yew trees too, but I will spare you the tree pictures! It was a great day out as I have just finished reading my latest Philippa Gregory (the Wise Woman), and I felt transported back to the time where the castle would have been alive and vibrant. We are going to go back next week as they are having a medieval reinactment, and I have always wanted to go to one. In fact, I would love to be a member of one of those groups that dress up in full costume from the period and run around castles and fields! My secret fantasy lol!!!






5 comments:

  1. Squirrellnutkin2 August 2010 at 14:06

    I can see something in your 'prison' picture on the left hand side.....ohhh sends shivers down your spine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought when I looked at the photo, and that's exactly where I had been standing when I felt strange! Spooky!

    Btw, will be in touch soon, don't worry :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just found your blog so I hope that strange spookything wont take you away before I get to know youI love all your photos it looks like you had A great day I will be looking in again.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful pics, castles are so magical, we have several nearby too and all I need to do to keep my kids happy is pack a picnic and sit near an ancient turret!!! lucky you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Betty,

    I am a journalist and freelance documentary producer (google me for an idea of my credentials) and I am currently developing a pitch for a 6 part series for Current TV about home schooling and unschooling called 'School Sucks!'

    Your blog conveyed a really strong voice and I would love to hear you opinions and pick your brain about unschooling and the state of education in Britain today. I want people to learn about home schooling and think to themselves, "why?" "how do parents manage it?" "are you allowed to do that?" "how can they compete with a formal education?" - it is people like you who I would love to put those questions to on camera.

    My interest in this subject comes from the fact that I am originally from the US and bounced back and forth between UK, US, state and private schools all the way until university. My brother and sister have been home schooled and unschooled at various periods because of their very specific learning needs but I loved my UK schooling experience, however with the changes I've witnessed over the last decade to the state cirriculum and political attitudes and toying with education I am not so sure anymore.

    Let me know what you think and when a good time to chat would be,

    Thanks for your time

    chavalamadlena@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Grab A Button

Photobucket
Photobucket
CURRENT MOON

Nestle free zone

I'm a Holistic Mama

Snag a button

I am a
Morning Glory

What Flower
Are You?

The International Breastfeeding Symbol